Addiction Counseling Associate Degree Program
Upon completion of a diploma program, students are eligible to enroll in an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree program. Diploma programs are designed to help students begin work in their chosen field. Our AAS programs go beyond by allowing students to develop general education skill sets (in areas such as English, History and Math) and complete an advanced level of course work in their chosen field. As long as they have completed a diploma program or a specific number of credit hours from a related concentration, students may begin an AAS program anytime, even at night while they work. All of our AAS completion programs are 100% online.
What is an Addiction Counseling Technician?
- Conducting individual or group therapy focused on addiction recovery.
- Providing emotional support for individuals overcoming their addiction.
- Helping patients navigate the various stages of addiction recovery.
- Being a constant supporting shoulder and mentoring those in your care toward a life free of drugs and alcohol.
Addiction Counseling Technicians are often called simply Addiction Counselors or Substance Abuse Counselors.
What Career Options Are Available in Addiction Counseling?
- Addiction Centers
- Employee Wellness Programs
- Out Patient Recovery
- At Home Care
- And other environments
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors is projected to grow 18% in Ohio from 2018 to 2028.3
What You Will Learn in an Addiction Counseling Technician Program
- Utilize theories of addiction, substance assessment, and counseling techniques.
- Prepare you through course work to demonstrate the skills employers are looking for in this field.
- Apply ethics and boundary considerations and practice an understanding of diversity and tolerance for others.
- Develop motivational interviewing skills to help patients cope.
- Understand the neurobiology of addiction, family addiction dynamics, and special population considerations in addiction counseling.
- Demonstrate knowledge of group process, case management, crisis intervention, trauma and recovery, and vocational rehabilitation.
Why Choose Our College?
- Making student success our #1 priority.
- Designing courses that develop critical skill sets and expanding our student’s knowledge base for a life-time career.
- Ensuring that the skills businesses need are the skills we teach.
- Offering affordable programs that typically take less time to complete and have smaller class sizes than those of other schools.
- ong> Offering on-campus, hybrid, and completely online diploma and degree programs that provide more flexibility to fit your life-style.
- Having the best career services team that has done the networking for you with numerous local employers and are here to help.
All of us at Stautzenberger College are here to help you succeed, whether it’s our free tutoring, helpful financial aid options, or connecting you with businesses for that great job. We are here to prepare you for quick entry into the workforce.
Financial Aid available to those who qualify.
Program length – 5 months
100% of the program is online
Find Out More
1https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/17/surgeon-genera... (visited December 23, 2019).
2 Ohio Opioid Summary. (2021 January). Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/drug-topics/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state
3https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1011.00?st=OH&g=Go, retrieved 1/10/2022.