Associate Degree - Hybrid (Online & On-Campus)
The Veterinary Technician Associate’s Degree is designed to prepare students with the skills and procedures to effectively contribute to the health and well-being of veterinary patients. The mission of the Veterinary Technician program is to prepare students to work in a small animal clinic setting. While the emphasis is on small animal settings, the student is also exposed to large animal and research information. Veterinary technicians, while always working under the supervision of a veterinarian, provide many services. Routine duties include restraint of animals, sample collection, nursing care (IV catheter placement, bandage application, medication administration, etc.), feeding of animals, record keeping, office procedures, and client education and communication.
- Perform patient examinations and collect data on vital signs.
- Calculate, prepare, and administer medications by common drug routes and prepare pharmaceuticals as prescribed by a veterinarian.
- Prepare anesthetic delivery systems, induce anesthesia, monitor patients under anesthesia, manage complications, and recover anesthesia.
- Perform dental prophylactic procedures on dogs and cats.
- Collect and process samples for diagnostic tests, such as blood chemistries, differentials, culture/sensitivities and EKGs.
- Recognize and assess behavioral signs of animals and how it relates to husbandry, handling and disease.
- Educate clients on their animal’s health, nutrition, management during illness and preventative medicine as well as euthanasia
- Perform nursing care for small, large and exotic species while being advocates for their patient’s health.
- Delivery Method: Hybrid
- Program Length: 24 months
- Credits: 114.5
- Veterinary Hospitals
- On-site Veterinary Services
- Animal Hospitals and Shelters
What You Will Learn
- Emergency Medicine/Critical Care
- Pharmacy & Pharmacology
- Pain Management/Analgesia
- Laboratory Procedures
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Veterinary Medical Nursing
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Veterinary Assistants is projected to grow 10% in Ohio from 2020 to 2030.1
The Stautzenberger College Difference
Stautzenberger College is a career-focused college that provides students with hands-on training and real-world experience in their chosen fields. Stautzenberger College stands out for its commitment to providing students with practical education that prepares them for success in the workforce.
- Programs: Stautzenberger College offers a wide variety of programs in healthcare, business, technology, and skilled trades. These programs are designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in their chosen careers.
- Small Class Sizes: With small class sizes, students get personalized attention from instructors, which helps them better understand the material and apply it to real-world situations.
- Multiple Schedule Options: Offering on-campus, hybrid and completely online diploma and degree programs that provide more flexibility to fit your life-style.
- Experienced Faculty: Stautzenberger College instructors are experienced professionals in their respective fields, providing students with real-world insights and connections.
- Hands-on Training: Stautzenberger College provides hands-on training in labs and clinical settings, allowing students to apply what they learn in the classroom to real-world situations.
- Career Services: Stautzenberger College has a dedicated career services team that provides students with job placement assistance, resume writing help, and interview preparation.
- Accreditation: Stautzenberger College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), ensuring that its programs meet high standards of quality and that its graduates are well-prepared for their careers.
Why Choose Stautzenberger
- On-Campus & Online Options
- 20+ Career-Focused Programs
- Hands-On & Real World Training
- Inclusive Small Class Sizes
- Caring Instructors
- Student-Centered Experience
- Tutoring & Personalized Support
- Financial Aid for Those Who Qualify
- Externship Opportunities
- Career Placement Assistance
"Just making the decision to enroll in the program at Stautzenberger was big for me," says Brianna. "Veterinary medicine has always been my dream, so I made the jump and decided to follow my heart. It was the best choice I have ever made for myself."
2022 Graduate, Veterinary Technician
1 https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/39-2021.00?st=OH&g=Go, retrieved on 4/10/2023.