Companion Animal Care Technician Diploma Program
The companion animal care technician diploma program is best suited for education-seekers who have a strong passion for animals and see value in developing a multi-faceted skillset. This versatile career-training program provides students with a comprehensive understanding in five main areas of caring for domestic animals:
- Basic Animal Care - From proper animal handling to anatomy, from identifying breeds to identifying diseases, our students develop a well-rounded understanding of essential animal care.
- Grooming - A well-groomed animal is a happy animal. Our students train in basic hygiene and grooming for companion animals.
- Wellness and Massage – Our students gain understanding of the importance of wellness and preventive measures to maintain good health by utilizing nutrition, exercise and soothing massage techniques.
- Training and Behavior - Knowing what makes animals tick and how to improve behavior is an important part of our Companion Animal Care Technician program curriculum.
- Interpersonal Skill Development - Our students love people, too! They learn how to communicate pet-related information professionally while sharing their passion for animals.
Program length – 12 months
Online with on-ground components
In this program, students are taught the following:
- overview of veterinary medical practices
- animal wellbeing
- behavior modification and training
- animal massage and grooming
- animal safety
- communication skills within an animal care professional context
Students complete an externship in a professional animal care setting to gain hands-on experience prior to program completion.
The all-encompassing education at Stautzenberger College is designed to prepare students for a myriad of possible careers. Possible entry-level careers include: dog groomer, pet stylist, small animal massage therapist, veterinary office assistant, dog obedience trainer/instructor, and animal attendant.
Demand for nonfarm animal caretakers is expected to grow by 9-13% though 2024.1
1U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Employment Projections 2014-2024,retrieved 6/8/16
Online with components delivered at:
Stautzenberger College is required by the Federal Department of Education to provide the following disclosures to educate consumers on information such as completion rates, median loan debt, and placement rates. Reporting timeframes vary by program length – please refer to the disclosure form for dates of the reported data. The information is based off annual reports provided to the institutional accreditor during the previous reporting year. If you have any questions regarding any disclosure information, please reach out to our admissions department for clarification.